Saturday, April 5, 2008

Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians


Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians by Brandon Sanderson

I just got done reading one of the best books ever!!! I don’t usually give books a five star rating, but this one I had to, maybe because I myself am a librarian (but not an evil one I am undercover bringing down the evil librarians here in Hushland). This book has it all, action, adventure, cool gadgets, magic, and best of all lots of humor.
The book is told as if it is the true story of Alcatraz Smeadry, hero of the Free Kingdoms. Alcatraz is a thirteen-year-old kid who has never known his real parents and who has been shuffled from foster home to foster home because of his tendency to break things. Alcatraz in the book defines himself as not a nice person and is out to dispel the myth that he is some great hero.

Everything in Alcatraz’s life changes on his thirteenth birthday when he receives his inheritance from his parents, a bag of sand. From there he meets his eccentric grandpa, Leavenworth Smeadry, a famous occulator who tells Alcatraz about the Free Kingdoms and the evil librarians, who have stolen his bag of sand. There are more Smeadrys and other interesting characters in this novel, including a thirteen-year-old female knight, a 6’5” anthropologist weapons’ lover named Sing, and a babbling Quentin Smeadry. The Smeadrys are out to save the Free Kingdoms and stop the evil librarians.

I would love to tell you more about this book, but some of my fellow librarians are coming my way. All I can say is if you can find this book read it!!! I will be back with more Smeadry updates as soon as the sequel has been smuggled here into the Hushland.

No comments: