Monday, May 21, 2007

Ready or Not?: An All American Girl Novel


Ready or Not?: An All American Girl Novel by Meg Cabot


I have to start this blog out by warning my younger readers that this book is full of sexual content. Parents be warned that this book is for a more mature audience.


Being a fan of Meg Cabot's All American Girl, I was sure I was going to love this sequel. Unfortunately, I didn't really like the sequel. In this book, Samantha Madison finds herself contemplating having sex with her boyfriend over Thanksgiving weekend. She goes through all the pros and cons in her own way, gets advice from others, and then makes her decision.


The part of the book that I didn't like was that the story seemed a little too mature for the immature Sam Madison of the previous book. It didn't really fit into the frivolous nature of its predecessor (SAT word meaning the one that came before).


I think that this is a needed book in the YA Chick-Lit genre, but I believe that Cabot should have made it its own book instead of trying to continue on with Samantha's story. The audience of the first book and this one are not in my mind the same audience.


Lovers of Samantha Madison be warned, this book may not be for you.

No comments: